Skip to main content

What I really think about review sites

In case you're just checking out our blog for the first time, Mondays we feature #MandaMondays. These post come from our owner Amanda and we are starting a series about things we wish our brides knew. This week Amanda is talking about what she REALLY thinks about review sites.

What I Really Think About Review Sites
I, like most business owners, have a love/hate relationship with review sites. These sites, (YELP!, WeddingWire, The Knot, etc.) are a great way for a bride to find fantastic, reputable vendors in her area. That’s a good thing. They are also a forum for brides to warn future brides about negligent vendors and bad service. This is also a good thing. There is, however, a grey area that nobody likes to talk about- the “I just want to complain about something” review.

This third category is especially frustrating for business owners for a few reasons:
First, most of the “gripes” in these reviews could have been easily fixed if I had been aware of them. I once got a poor review because a promotion discount wasn’t applied to an order. It was an honest oversight that could have been easily remedied, but instead of allowing me to correct this, the client chose to leave a poor review and insinuate that we overcharged her on purpose. Trust me, I’m not going to jeopardize my business reputation for an extra $25. I can’t fix it if I don’t know there’s an issue. Be fair to your vendors, and speak up if we’ve forgotten something! We’re only human.

The second reason these grey area reviews are so frustrating is because sometimes people are simply unreasonable. We got a one-star review once because we couldn’t accommodate a bride who walked in without an appointment. My sister (Amy) was very polite in explaining that we were completely booked at that moment and offered to book an appointment for a return visit. We always do our best to accommodate walk-in brides, and usually we can. However, I can’t be prepared to help you if I don’t know you’re coming!

The final reason these reviews are so frustrating is because they are often completely unfair. We once received a poor review because we were located “too far” away from the reviewer. We also received a one-star review once because we didn’t post the photo of a bride who DID NOT buy her dress with us. Really??

It’s hard being in a business where every single thing you do is subject to an online review. Just imagine for a moment that your job worked like that. However, this also keeps us super motivated to always provide the best service we are able to provide. Like I said…love/hate relationship.

When writing your vendor reviews, just be fair. Talk to them personally about any issues so they can be resolved beforehand. Remember, somebody’s livelihood is affected by your words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Cute Gifts Your Bridesmaid Will Actually Want!

5 Cute Gifts Your Bridesmaid Actually Want! Want to be that awesome bride that doesn't want to give mainstream gifts? Check this list out! Everyone knows that weddings are full of tears, so why not lighten the mood and make them laugh? Such a fun and cute way to wipe away those tears of joy! No Ugly Crying Embroidered Hanky Alex and Ani Bracelet. They are a stylish way to show them what you mean to them. They come with a card with three different meanings so you can make it super personal. Bonus tip: Add a note and tell them how that charm reminds you of them. Alex and Ani Bracelets Pearls of Friendship Necklace by Dogeared. This is such a sweet dainty touch to give your girls, and they can even wear it on the wedding day! A very sweet way to tell them how much they mean to you, and because, who doesn’t like pearls? I mean, really. Dogeared Pearls of Friendship Necklace Ring candles are a great way to give your besties a surprise and a good smelling hous...

Emily's #WeddingWednesday

Emily came to Bombshell on a recommendation from a friend "I was having a horrible time finding a dress in my size. I called the shop and asked about my size, when she said "We have that size", I almost cried" she said. The bride and new mom came to the shop she had little less than a month until her wedding. Emily was so worried about finding a gown for her special day. " We picked out 4 dresses an started trying them on, I wasn't feeling like any of them was "The one". My consultant  wasn't rushful or rude about me not liking them. She then went to the back and brought out a dress in blue that could be ordered in white, I LOVED IT!!!!" The gown Emily chose was ready for her wedding and she looked stunning! " The day of my wedding I felt like a million dollars, everyone loved my dress.When I got to my husband at the alter he was in awe, mouth open and all. After the wedding he told me that I took his breath away, that he fell...

REAL TALK. How to be A Good Bridesmaid

We all know that being a bridesmaid is a blessing AND a curse. Buying a dress that 1. you don’t like and 2. UGH that price tag though! We all know that sometimes being asked to be in a wedding is extremely frustrating. However, when your best friend asks you to be in her wedding it’s hard to not feel honored! She loves you and wants you by her side for the most important day of her life. Please be seated class! Remember that she might be stressed out, and don’t take it personal. She may be stressed because everyone is in her ear telling her what she should do. Ask her if she needs help and most likely she will need it, but might not want to ask. You may not care about all the details, but she does! A good friend will shut up about her wanting paper flowers instead of real ones and help her make “said” paper flowers. She will change her mind at least a dozen times. I am SOOO guilty of this. In this day and age with pinterest, instagram, wedding blogs, and facebook i...