Skip to main content

Top 11 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Wedding Day

1. Make a list of the pictures you want and who you want in them ahead of time.
This is something I really wish I would have done. You think me being a photographer I would have been prepared for this! We were so rushed and I thought the photographers would just have some cute shots lined up, but I ended up missing pictures with some of the most important people. Make a list way before the week of the wedding, and make sure you aren’t forgetting anyone/or thing. Really take your time on it, because it is only one day, and everyone around you will be looking fabulous! And it’s totally okay to be super picky about pictures, it is YOUR DAY.


2. HIRE A VIDEOGRAPHER
The night is so short and it goes by so fast especially for the bride and groom. You miss so much of what is going on around you! I am so glad we booked a videographer, because I missed Dan’s grandpa dancing, my mother and her friends dancing and during the shoe game I couldn’t see what Dan’s answers were. I am so excited to see our first dance, cake cutting and all our guests enjoying their time! It is like reliving your wedding again! I know it may seem like a lot of money for just a “video” but it is a video of your WEDDING! Trust me on this one. By the way if you are looking for a great videographer Complete Video Solutions is who did ours and all the videos for Bombshell Bridal. ;)

Amy and Dan-3447.jpg
Jeremy and Tom from Complete Video Solutions http://www.cvideosolutions.com/


3. Stay Hydrated!
It was SO HOT on our wedding day, and my poor husband was in a full suit. Don’t get me wrong a wedding dress is just as hot. There was literally sweat dripping down my legs! It was disgusting! You don’t want to be crabby to your guests because you are so exhausted and parched. Pack a couple extra water bottles and yes you will forget to drink them. Set an alarm! It may sound silly yet it will help you stay hydrated!




4. You DON’T have to lose weight to be beautiful on your wedding day.
I didn’t go on a wedding diet, and *GASP* I felt GORGEOUS on my wedding day! Don’t feel like you have to change yourself for your wedding. Remember your fiance proposed to you as you are. He doesn’t expect you to lose some LB’S before the wedding and if he does you shouldn’t be marrying him! :p All jokes aside, find the dress that makes you feel beautiful just as you are! I may have a double chin in some pictures, but you know what? I have them in real life too! That is me!


Amy and Dan-3054.jpg


5. Not being crafty is OK!
I tried to DIY a lot of my wedding and it didn’t turn out so good. I was going to DIY these paper flowers and they took me an hour to make just ONE! It was very tedious and my hands always ended up sticky for days. I tried to get everything done so that me and my wedding party could relax the night before. I didn’t want to have me or them fixing bouquets the night before and stress about it up until the day of. I gave up and looked to the professionals and boy am I glad I did! Which brings me to my next point;


6. Hire a coordinator!
This is the BEST thing I could have done! I didn’t worry about a thing, it was all taken care of. My reception was set up beautifully and I didn’t have to send one of my girls to scope it out and fix it. My coordinator (Tammara Kane from Grand Jour Events) did an amazing job! She even made floral arrangements for our centerpieces! Our coordinator worked up a timeline that she sent to all our vendors which helped the night move a lot quicker. I let Tammara set up our reception how she saw fit. I knew she was a professional and I knew she would make it look beautiful. She even helped with any issues I had with vendors! Let me tell you how nice it was to relax my wedding weekend. I didn’t worry the whole weekend about anything. ANYTHING. Which is how it supposed to be! You should be relaxed and enjoy your day! It’s okay to have help, and this day is so important why not trust someone who is a professional?


Amy and Dan-3336.jpg
Tammara and her assistant from Grand Jour Events http://www.grandjourevents.com/


7. Don’t wear heels down the aisle, flats all the way!
I was just about to walk down the aisle when I felt my feet throbbing. I bought these super cute heart shoes from Vivienne Westwood. They were ADORABLE and extremely painful. I complained about my feet hurting and my sister had her husband grab my flats that I had planned to wear at the reception. BEST. DECISION. EVER. Instant relief and I didn’t have to worry about tripping on that super mega long walk I had to do. My dress was a long dress so nobody could see if I was wearing those shoes or not! I wore those adorable shoes for a couple shoe pictures and rocked out in my flats for the rest of the night!


Amy and Dan-1007.jpg
8. Enjoy yourself!
After all the pictures, cake cutting, and formal dances take time to enjoy yourself. It is okay to say no and be selfish. You are allowed to say no to someone who wants you to come to the photobooth because you want to do the Cha Cha Slide. Remember to say no within good reason, but being selfish is OKAY! This is your day and everyone will understand!  


01.jpg


9. Take some time to be alone with your new S.O. on your wedding day.
You’d think that since it is you and your significant other's day you two would have time for just you two. WRONG!  I really thought we would have time for this, but again the day went by so fast! Add this to your timeline, add somewhere in there to be alone for a few minutes and take it all in. We smashed cake in each others face so we went to the bathroom to clean up (there was only one) so we took those few minutes to look at each other and realize that we were actually married. Totally worth taking a few minutes out of your busy day to hug each other and enjoy that moment.

Amy and Dan-3424.jpg


10. Not following tradition sometimes is better.
My husband and I lived together for a year before we got married, and we thought it would be best if we followed tradition and didn’t spend the night before our wedding together to make it more special. I was going to spend the night with my girls, and the more I thought about it the more it seemed so idiotic. He was going to be my husband, this was OUR day why aren’t we going to spend the night together? We ended up deciding to spend the night together and it was a great decision! My husband was a little nervous about being in front of so many people and I think cuddling the morning of our wedding day helped calm him. It helped to remind him that this day was about US. We went to breakfast together, read our letters, and opened our gifts together privately. It was so intimate and we were both able to get our ugly cry out before the photographers and videographers got there. It was so much more special being able to see his face as he read my letter instead of seeing it in a picture. Remember this day is about you TWO, nobody else. Make your own traditions and enjoy your day.




11. TAKE IT ALL IN
I heard this from all sorts of people, everyone told me that the day went by fast. They all said to take it all in and enjoy yourself. Let me explain how hard this is, everyone is looking to you for answers, pictures and instruction! I didn’t quite understand how to do this until it was all over. Take your time walking down the aisle, look at your guests and take it all in as you walk down slowly. Right after they announce you as husband and wife take a minute to look at all your guests there. You are so quick to rush everything because you have a timeline, screw the timeline! Take your time and enjoy it! Learn from my mistakes and take your time!


Amy and Dan-3089.jpg
Cheers!
Talk soon!
- Amy



Pictures taken by the lovely Mark & Noelle McCoy http://mccoymade.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Reasons to Buy Your Dress At Bombshell We’re here to make you look beautiful. Our goal is to make sure you feel confident, gorgeous, and radiant. And gurrrrl do have some gorgeous dresses! We excel in customer service. It is our number one priority, to make sure you have an amazing shopping experience from start to finish! We help make you feel as comfortable as possible too! The experience is unlike any other. We strive to make you have as much fun as possible here. No stuffy bridal shop, and no pushy sales people. Just fashion loving women who love weddings just as much as you do! We celebrate with you when you found your dress, too! We cheers with champagne, have you sign the wall to encourage other ladies, and we take your picture with our iconic “I’m a Bombshell Bride” sign! :) Your money matters here. It is helping to pay for baseball camp, college tuition, family vacations and a newlywed couples first furniture purchase. We are a small business

12 Things Brides Forget Before Their Wedding Day

BRING EXTRA SHOES! Those gorgeous heels you bought? Yeah, by the time the reception rolls around your feet will be killing you! Bring an extra pair of flats so you can keep dancing and socializing the night away. You’ll thank me later. Decide what to do with the gifts. This is often forgotten during the wedding planning process, but still pretty important thing to remember! Make sure you assign someone to pack up the gifts and tell them where to take them. Especially if you are leaving on your honeymoon that night! You don’t want to decide what to do with them after you have had a few glasses of champagne. ;) Assign someone responsible to take care of the marriage license! Your officiant will take two copies and one is your souvenir. (Yes, you will sign three of them.) Make sure you don’t ask your cousin who has had 4 possibly 6 drinks that night already. A pretty hanger for your wedding dress. Since your dress will be photographed you want to make s

6 Tips for Stress-Free Bridesmaid Shopping

I have heard so many brides tell me that bridesmaid dress shopping was the most stressful part of her planning, so let me help make your shopping a bit easier with these helpful tips! Gurl I gotchu. Budget: This is one of the most challenging parts for your maids, so make sure you are upfront about your expectations from the very start. Communicate with your girls, ask what they can afford and plan accordingly. If your girls are on a strict budget, START EARLY! Having your girls know the price of the dress a few months before they need to order, will make this purchase MUCH easier on them. Thas way, your girls can budget for the dress and not add on last minute stress! Happy bridesmaids = a happy bride :) Time: As I said above, time is very important, because bridesmaid dresses can take up to 6 months to arrive. Also, don’t forget your girls need to get their alterations as well. No, this is not a perfectly fitted garment, and yes, they will almost certainly need alterati